Installing the Battery
(See Fig. A– )
Open the battery compartment lid and install one size AAA (R03)
battery (not supplied) with correct polarity.
When a battery is first installed, “AM 12:00” flashes in the display. Once the
current time is set, the flashing stops.
2 Close the lid.
Battery Life (Approx. hours) (JEITA*)
When using WEATHER FM AM
Sony alkaline 27 27 36
size AAA (LR03)
Sony size AAA (R03) 10 10 16
* Measured by JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries
Association) standards. The actual battery life may vary depending on the
circumstance of the unit.
When to replace the battery
You can check the remaining battery power that appears in the display. The
indicators are as follows:
When the battery becomes exhausted, the unit will turn off. Replace
with new battery. When you press POWER after installing the new
battery, the indicator changes to “
* Displayed only when the radio is turned on.
Do not take more than 30 seconds to replace the battery, otherwise, your clock,
pitch timer and countdown timer settings and preset stations will be initialized.
Should that happen, reset the functions again.
For customers who purchased this product in the USA
Please register this product on line at
Proper registration will enable us to send you periodic mailings about new
products, services, and other important announcements.
Registering your product will also allow us to contact you in the unlikely
event that the product needs adjustment or modification. Thank you.
You are cautioned that any changes or modifications not expressly approved
in this manual could void your authority to operate this equipment.
This device complies with the Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
Operation is subject to the condition that this device does not cause harmful
If you have any questions about this product, you may call;
Sony Customer Information Service Center 1-800-222-7669 or
Declaration of Conformity
Trade Name: SONY
Responsible Party: Sony Electronics Inc.
Address: 16530 Via Esprillo, San Diego, CA 92127 USA
Telephone Number: 858-942-2230
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to
the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful
interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received,
including interference that may cause undesired operation.
• WEATHER/FM/AM 3 band PLL (phase locked loop) synthesized armband
•A total of 25 stations can be preset, 5 WEATHER stations, 15 FM stations and
5 AM stations.
• Stopwatch, split and pitch timer functions.
• Wearable round design for armband and belt-holder use.
• Water-resistant for all –weather use.
• MEGA BASS for dynamic bass sound.
• Operate the unit only on 1.5 V DC with one size AAA (R03) battery.
• Avoid exposure to temperature extremes, direct sunlight, moisture, sand, dust
or mechanical shock. Never leave the unit in a car parked under the sun.
• Should anything fall into the unit, remove the battery and have the unit checked
by qualified personnel before operating it any further.
• To clean the casing, use a soft cloth dampened with a mild detergent solution.
• In vehicles or buildings, radio reception may be difficult or noisy. Try listening
near a window.
Notes on Headphones
Do not use headphones while driving, cycling, or operating any motorized
vehicle. It may create a traffic hazard and is illegal in many areas. It can also be
potentially dangerous to play your headphones at high volume while walking,
especially at pedestrian crossings. You should exercise extreme caution or
discontinue use in potentially hazardous situations.
Preventing hearing damage
Avoid using headphones at high volume.
Hearing experts advise against continuous, loud and extended play. If you
experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or discontinue use.
Caring for others
Keep the volume at a moderate level. This will allow you to hear outside sounds
and to be considerate to people around you.
PLL Synthesized Radio
©2008 Sony Corporation Printed in China
If there is lightning when you are using the unit, take off the headphones
Cautions on Water-resistance
This unit is designed so that it can be used with slight exposure to rain, snow and
other forms of moisture, but there are several points on which caution should be
• Do not allow it to come in contact with large amounts of water.
• Do not immerse it in water.
• If water should get on it or if it should fall into water, take it out immediately
and wipe it off with a dry cloth. The interior of the battery compartment
has no water-resistance. The battery may corrode, so wipe out the
interior of the battery compartment as follows.
– Open or close the battery compartment with dry hands in a place without
exposure to any water.
– Wipe off the battery and the inside of the battery compartment. Give special
attention to the contacts so that no water remains on them.
If you have any questions or problems concerning your unit, please
consult your nearest Sony dealer.
Should any problem persist after you have made the following checks, consult
your nearest Sony dealer.
All buttons do not operate at all.
•“-” is displayed. Slide down the HOLD lever so that “-” disappears.
Very weak or interrupted sound, or unsatisfactory reception
• Weak battery
• In a vehicle or in a building, move closer to a window.
There is hum or noise.
• If WB/FM SENS is set to LOCAL, set to DX.
• Ensure that the unit is not near a mobile phone or any other device that emits
Display is dim, or no indication is displayed.
• Weak battery.
• The unit is being used in extremely high or low temperatures or in a place with
The station cannot be received when the preset was tuned.
• You chose the wrong preset number.
• The memory of the station has been initialized. Preset the station again.
The power cannot be turned on, and “
” is flashing in the
• The battery has been completely exhausted.
The preset stations may be initialized, if a maintenance service is performed.
Please note down your settings in case you want to preset them again.
Band Range Channel step
WEATHER 1 - 7 ch 1 channel
FM 87.5 – 108 MHz 0.1 MHz
AM 530 – 1 710 kHz 10 kHz
i (headphones) jack (ø 3.5 mm stereo mini jack) 16 Ω
5 mW + 5 mW (at 10 % harmonic distortion)
1.5 V DC, one size AAA (R03) battery
Approx. 95.5 × 69.3 × 37.5 mm (w/h/d)
inches) incl. projecting parts and controls
Approx. 88.3 g (3.1 oz.) incl. battery
Stereo headphones (vertical in the ear type) (1), Arm band (1)
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Notes on battery
• Do not charge the dry battery.
• Do not carry the dry battery together with coins or other metallic objects. It can
generate heat if the positive and negative terminals of the battery are
accidentally come into contact with metallic objects.
• When you are not going to use the unit for a long time, remove the battery to
avoid damage from battery leakage and corrosion.
To attach the battery compartment lid if it is
accidentally detached (See Fig. A– )
The battery compartment lid is designed to come off when opened with excessive
force. To put it back on, see the illustration.
1 Insert one side of the lid as illustrated.
2 Push the other side to attach.
“WALKMAN” is a registered trademark of Sony Corporation to represent Headphone Stereo
products. is a registered trademark of Sony Corporation.
(R03) × 1
Insert the E side of
the battery first.